Monday 11 September 2017

Learning to Wear the Uniform, and HUGE Cookie Success!

Day two ... time for a demo.

I have taught the concepts of getting ready to get ready, and mis-en-place. Now it is time to see these in actual application.

My kitchen is prepared and the demo takes 30 minutes from me starting to make cookies to the student chefs getting to eat the first ones out of the oven. We talk about their experiences the previous day...a sort of bash-yourself analysis. I don't let them beat themselves up TOO much, but do permit specific comments which are task-focused ... nothing personal.

Then ... it is time for our new chefs to learn about the history of the traditional western chefs uniform, and the meaning of the toque. Each get to put their uniform on for the first time.

Then ... find some new confidence with the uniform AND the demo .... I give the students 45 minutes to, again, Make Me Cookies.

As predictable, everyone is successful ... everyone has a HUGE grin on ... and the satisfaction level with a new set of challenges suddenly moves from"I can't do this" to "Let Me At It!".

And another semester begins on a strong and positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment